02 April 2009

Social Networking and World Domination

I have extremely conflicted feelings about social networking. MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, thiser, thatter, whatever. I suppose writing a blog about it is some what hypocritcal, but oh well.

I use the above sites, but only as a means to an end. They have their moments, and has helped land a few gigs, and brought people together ("Gather 'Round the Mic" wouldn't have happened without it). And I do feel that it's the way things will be done in the future. Hell, we've watched online dating go from something of a taboo to a socially acceptable method for getting laid, and if you believe the e-harmony ads, happy marriage.

However, for all the good, there's a certain degree of narcissism in the whole thing that I find completely uncomfortable. To make the leap into social networking, you have to make one assumed truth - that others will find your thoughts and life interesting. By the sheer fact of having this blog, it may appear that I'm making the assumption that you find me interesting. Quite frankly, I don't really care. I like to write, and this is a venue for more non-fiction writing. Read it, great, don't - fine.

Now, there's a flip side to this whole thing - the complete lack of self-confidence, and the need to be involved. I think head forensic guy on Dexter said it best, "this job is really fucking with my online social life." Some just need to be there, to let the world know they exist, because they don't feel that they do.

For some, the online profile is their life. For others, it's to show how great they think they are. For me, it's a necessary evil in the road to world domination.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Multi-Hyphenate. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan