26 August 2009

On First Drafts & Shit.

Hemingway put it best - "The first draft of anything is shit."  I agree wholeheartedly.  I'm just working my way up to accepting that notion.

It's likely due to my training - I'm not a writer by training - I went to music school (Berklee to be exact), and majored in music composition.  Before that, I was at a conservatory (Baldwin Wallace), where I had "instrumentalist's guilt" firmly entrenched in my being.  You must agonize over things, perfecting them. 

So, imagine my current predicament.  I was the type of composer who used to agonize for days, weeks, over the perfect note, chord, what have you (for my own pieces - the stuff for school could bite me - and generally, those were the better pieces - what a bitch that it didn't take). 

Now - this does make me a great editor.  I love turning shit into less shitty shit.  I love picking things apart, putting them back together again. 

However, before I get to turn shit into less shitty shit, I have to write shit first.  And I have to be OK with that. 

I'm working on it.  Handwriting my first drafts goes a long way towards the acceptance of the shittiness of the first draft.

By the way, this is a first draft.  I've accepted that it's likely shit.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Multi-Hyphenate. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan