14 February 2010

Proof of Hyphenation for the Week of February 8, 2010

by Tyler Weaver.  Follow me on Twitter.

MH's biggest week.  Joke & Biagio and Karen Quah made their MH debut.  Paul, Julie, Jessica, and yours truly returned.  Week three of MH, all in one easy to click place.


Monday, February 8, 2010

Usually, I'd take this spot with one of my own articles, but today's going to be different in MH-land.  Last week I penned an article for television producer Maria Lokken's website, marialokken.com called "A Film in the Life of a Multi-Hyphenate Guppy," and Maria was kind enough to ask me to return this week.
So I did, with "I'm a Filmmaker with Karate Chop Action... Redux," my first remake, of my own article here at MH (from September), "I'm a Filmmaker with Karate Chop Action."  I took the opportunity to revisit the article, expand it, and fix some spots I screwed up the first time 'round.  
HyphenNation - Part 1  by Joke & Biagio
You're reading this blog because you have a dream.
Maybe it's to make movies. Perform on the big screen. Sell a reality TV show. Write award-winning screenplays. Compose songs that win Grammys. Create ad-campaigns that shape our world.
Work hard, work smart, and you have a real shot at making your dream come true.
After all, we're living proof.

We're Producers.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tyler @ Pulptone: HOUSE: The Daily Grind  by Tyler Weaver
In the space of a few episodes this season, Lisa Cuddy had gone from being one of my favorite characters to my least favorite character on the show. It seemed that when the character was actually happy, she was more annoying (probably a horrible thing to say, but it’s true).
 Indie? Studio? Screw It. Entertain. by Tyler Weaver
Judy Berman's article from Flavorwire, "Why is Indie Film Dying While Indie Music Thrives?" has, to say the least, stirred some argument, such as Filmmaker Magazine's Scott Macaulay in his response "How Cool is Indie Film?" and all over the Twitterverse. 

I don't think "indie" film is dying at all.  I think it's being reshaped - the very definition of "indie" is undergoing transformation in that there really is no single definition.  Everyone has their own.   "Indie" film has a bright future, but I think one thing needs to happen before that future can be bright - the abandonment of the term in all creative fields. 
Dol on the Dial - Icons & Irony by Dolores Dagenais
A pudgy Roger Daltrey dressed just a little bit like a lounge singer in a stripey jacket and scarf? Tie? Ascot? What the hell was that thing anyway and for God sake why? Pete Townshend apparently beat up Elvis Costello and stole his clothing, he left him his glasses though opting for dark shades, because he’s a nice guy after all and if you’re going to hit a man with glasses the least you should do is let him keep them once they’re broken.

Watching The Who’s mash up on the SuperBowl half time show,  I know I’m suppose to feel reverence and awe that these rock legends are still able to turn out a show.  But beyond the fireworks, smoke and lights, what I’m really feeling is something akin to sadness. Watching Daltrey strain for pitchy vocals and Townshend sounding decidedly out of breath on backgrounds doing what I suspect were painful rotator cuff endangering windmills... I can’t seem to get into it. 
Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Writing & Me - A Stalker Story by Karen Quah
I could tell you these contributions will provide writers with sure-fire ways on how to score an agent, get published, produced, become rich and famous.

But I’d be lying. Plus I’m not that kind of contributor.

I have no formulas. Or answers. Just stories.

Stories that might help you make some sense of the whole darn thing or at the very least, provide a good laugh.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tyler @ Pulptone: HUMAN TARGET - Growing Pains & Gains by Tyler Weaver
Thankfully, the “curse of the odds” is broken, and HUMAN TARGET appears to have found its footing! Now it just needs to keep growing.

I’ll admit, I was extremely worried about this show in the beginning. The pilot was so-so, the second episode was quite good, then the third was pretty awful. An incredible jump in quality followed, with episode four being the best of the lot, and then this newest episode, “Run,” topped that – though admittedly, I missed Winston field action, and the comic book “alternative sermon.”
Five Rules for Writers by Paul Klein
Perhaps I’m jumping on the “List ‘O Rules” bandwagon, but I find these lists endlessly entertaining.  My Rules are the product of good advice I’ve received over the years, supplemented with my own experiences.  Although I’m not so conceited as to think my list will solve all of your writing dilemmas, I do hope that at least one my methods resonates enough that you’ll give it a try—and that it helps.

At the very least, I hope you’re entertained 
Two Months  by Tyler Weaver
Though I made a commitment to post only once per week to give my wonderful and talented collaborators and contributors room for their articles to breathe, live, and become, in the lingo of the Twitterverse, retweeted, I wanted to take a moment to pontificate on the past two months of my life.

Unfortunately, there will be no picture or witticism in this post.  This is a selfish post.  It's more to get it out of my system than anything.  Read it.  Don't read it.  I'm fine with talking to myself. 
Soderbergh's Lament... by Jessica King & Julie Keck
Soderbergh was right: a lot of movie goers took movies seriously in the 1960s and 70s.  Or rather they were more open to a variety of film experiences.  Do you know why?  Because by the end of the 1950s people were tired of their steady diet of big studio musicals and historical epics.  Television was splitting their attention and whetting their appetite for more options.  Movie goers wanted something a little strange, something sexier, and it was out there in the form of European art films, Japanese cinema, and even Spaghetti Westerns.  Out with Cleopatra and Sound of Music!  American audiences were ready for their versions of Antonioni and Truffaut.

Hollywood was fine with chucking the expensive epics and musicals, but they had one big problem: they had no Antonionis, no Truffauts.  So they cleared house and plucked a fresh new crew of directors right out of film school.  You might recognize the names of some of the New Turks brought in to save the day: George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese. They were young, they were eager, and they were given carte blanche to create, titillate, and win American audiences back.
 

Friday, February 12, 2010

Breathing In Colorado Springs by Frederick Marx
Having been a practicing Buddhist for 22 years and a filmmaker for 35 I suppose it’s not surprising I do my best to combine the two practices into one.  “Follow your breath” is the mantra I return to again and again in tense and sometimes harrowing situations.  Maybe in some later post I’ll go into more detail, offering a primer on meditation.

For now just understand that I use my awareness of my breath (“in breath, out breath”) to stay rooted in my body, in the moment, and not let my brain run riot with thought - driven regularly enough by fear, driven occasionally by something like panic. I had the opportunity to practice this recently at a [JOURNEY FROM ZANSKAR] fundraiser screening we had in Colorado Springs.
 
  

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Multi-Hyphenate. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan