20 March 2010

Proof of Hyphenation: March 15-19, 2010

by Tyler Weaver.  Follow me on Twitter.


Monday, March 15, 2010

Screenwriting & The Hyphenate by David Spies
In today’s competitive industry, creatives must understand the importance of Hyphenate; a creative with the ability to be multifaceted, multitalented, and cross-specialize in a multitude of creative outlets.

Think of your current skill as a springboard with the option to wear many different hats. Specializing in one particular skill such as a screenwriter, may not generate the attention today that it may have twenty years ago. With that in mind, you’ll need to consider learning multiple skills that relate to your current specialty.
Let the Little Guy In: Thoughts on Short Film by Tyler Weaver

Last night's #scriptchat spurred some fascinating discussion on the short film form, so I thought I'd share a bit of my thoughts in a more coherent and awake fashion than my greatly depleted brain power allowed me last night.

So. 
The short.

When they work, they're wonderful pieces of cinema.  Sure, they're not very profitable (if at all), and we filmmakers should make them with the idea that they will likely result in a loss.  However, the gain in potential career propulsion is worth the cost.  Have to spend money to make money, after all.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010


Tyler @ Pulptone - HOUSE - Egyptian Parasites & Furniture. Yawn by Tyler Weaver
I’m worried.
This episode of House was quite good, but it offered little to nothing in the character development department. It felt as though I’ve seen it all before. Perhaps the formula’s getting old again? House must save patient. House and Wilson hijinks. One of the team has a relationship problem. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. That’s it.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 

Roman Polanski's THE GHOST WRITER by Michael Wendt
It may be too early to call, but if the Academy keeps the 10 nominations, I wouldn't be too surprised if to see The Ghost Writer among them next year. Roman Polanski's thriller based on the novel is very well executed.

Ewan McGregor plays a man simply known as The Ghost, often asked to help re-write autobiographies.  His latest assignment is a doozy.  He is helping Adam Lang (Pierce Brosnan), a recently resigned Prime Minister of England, finish his memoirs. Lang is under constant media attention as he is under investigation for possible involvement in war crimes committed in the Iraq war.
 
Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tyler @ Pulptone: HUMAN TARGET - Playing It Safe with Foam Balls by Tyler Weaver
No honeymoon lasts forever.
Maybe I should have been more concerned during last week’s preview. Using Human Target to accompany a song from Muse (a band I fail to see the appeal of) said one of two things. One, Fox has something going on with Muse (they do, Rupie’s News Corp.-owned MySpace is running a live streaming broadcast of Muse’s SXSW concert from Austin), and two, that they had to make the episode seem cooler than it actually was. 
Today's Renaissance (Wo)Men by Phil Holbrook
A  Renaissance Man is someone who is said to excel in many subjects. He is skilled academically, artistically, socially, and physically. When referring to a renaissance man, people will usually think of Leonardo da Vinci. Whoa. Those sound like some pretty big shoes to fill. Damn right! Yet, they are being filled, right now, by men and women I like to refer to as...

Serious Independent Filmmakers. 


I’m not talking about filmmakers who never smile or joke around. By “serious”, I mean filmmakers who work their ass off. They are today’s renaissance men and women.


I know there are folks who think I’m being a bit dramatic, but I don’t think I am. We’re talking about people who “excel in many subjects.” I’m only going to skim the surface here, but let’s take a look at it.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Giving Me the Business by Frederick Marx
After 35 years in this business I find myself largely back where I started. Truth be told, when it comes to distribution, I’m actually worse off.

Back in the mid 1970s, I began working in film exhibition and distribution, long before I got serious about filmmaking. At the University of Illinois campus I had a job showing films to students on weekend nights on 16mm for a company called Expanded Cinema. I also worked part-time in the day for a small film distribution company called Picture Start. We distributed short films to “non-theatrical” venues - like Expanded Cinema - across the country. Both companies were headed by my friend and mentor Ron Epple.


By the time I produced my own first film in 1981 – a five minute “found footage” experimental collage – I already knew where it might be distributed, and how. That made me an anomaly among my fellow students. I couldn’t understand how after they finished their films they were content to put them on the shelf and move on to the next. A few of the more ambitious ones submitted their films to some film festivals, and that was that. No one seemed remotely interested in distribution. I was dumbfounded. My film was an obscure, almost inscrutable work of experimentation, and I wanted everybody in the world to see it. I also wanted to recoup the ~ $1,500 I had spent on it.

Tyler @ CIFF - Day One: First Impressions by Tyler Weaver
And thus, my adventure at the 34th Annual Cleveland International Film Festival begins with... copious sneezing, the onset of coughing, and a scratchy throat.  Coupled with increasing aches and pains, lack of sleep, and the nausea of Drew Carey's "documentary web series" to save Cleveland, today was not the start I had envisioned for my coverage of the film festival.

But, not to worry.  This Festival goes on until March 28th, and due to its length, I'll be very selective about the wheres and whens of my attendance.  Had this been a "long weekend" thing, I'd be there non-stop.  But there is good news - I was there just enough to get a lay of the land, formulate a plan, and figure out exactly how I'm going to go about covering this.
Until next week...

Tyler Weaver is a filmmaker, writer, contributor to the pulptone.com website, and is the founder and EIC of Multi-Hyphenate... which you're reading right now.  He's currently making new things and yaks about that and more on Twitter under the creative guise of @tylerweaver.



 
 

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Multi-Hyphenate. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan