24 April 2010

Proof of Hyphenation: April 19-23

by Tyler Weaver.  Follow me on Twitter.



Monday, April 19, 2010

Jon Reiss' TOTBO Tip of the Day 1- The Next Chapter by Jon Reiss
Many of you might know me from the book that I have written recently, Think Outside the Box Office (TOTBO for short).  The primary reason that I wrote it was to share what I had learned while distributing my film Bomb It with other filmmakers so they could learn from my successes and mistakes.  In the continuation of that mission I am launching two more initiatives – both in support of how people want to interact with this information.  The first is a series of workshops around the world.  It seems that the live experience is as important as the written word in imparting this information for many people.   We are starting  with London on May 8/9, Amsterdam on the 12/13, New York on June 5, Vancouver on June 12/13, San Francisco July 31/Aug1 with more being lined up. 

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Jon Reiss' TOTBO Tip of the Day 2 - Every Film is Different by Jon Reiss
Each film is unique and requires its own individual distribution and marketing strategy.   A comedy about stoners will not have the same audience as a documentary about Aids orphans in Tanzania.  Similarly each filmmaker has a different set of goals, needs, and resources.  While the studio one size fits all model worked well for some independent films over the last 20 years – it was a disaster for others.   With the new hybrid model of distribution you can craft a distribution and marketing strategy that makes the most sense for your film.     You have a unique vision.  Use that vision to engage your audience in a unique manner.   This will help separate you from the media noise that surrounds us every day.

Tyler @ Pulp Tone: HOUSE - Transvestite Knights in Shining Armor by Tyler Weaver
A few weeks ago, I said that I was slowly hitting the point where I wondered, “would I watch the show if I weren’t reviewing it?”  This episode was another push towards that direction.  It’s not that it was bad by any stretch of the imagination.  It was enjoyable enough – even the worst episode of HOUSE is better than the best episodes of most serials. There’s rich characters, good development, and an intriguing through-line story. Though this week, it was a bit of “let’s come up with something funky so we can put House in a funny outfit and put Thirteen in a corset (not that I minded that part).”

A lovelorn knight falls prey to steroid use to win the love of his Queen, who’s engaged to be married to the King, who was really rich, and made his minions eat cow eyeballs and hemlock. Said Knight has blood-red eyeballs (which is kinda cool and creepy), and has spells of his heart working and not working. Of course, the Queen shows up, and Thirteen knows he loves her, and… who am I kidding. I couldn’t care less about the story. It didn’t grab me at all. 

The Curse of the Even Bonds? by Tyler Weaver
I'm a James Bond nut.  Especially the Fleming novels, Connery's From Russia With Love, Lazenby's On Her Majesty's Secret Service, both Dalton films, and both Craig Bonds.  So it was with much fear that I read the news yesterday that "James Bond 23," to be directed by American Beauty's Sam Mendes (as much as I love that film, my favorite film of his is the vastly underrated Road to Perdition, with some stunning imagery by the late Conrad Hall), is on indefinite hold due to MGM's financial woes. 

What was glossed over in all the articles I've read is an eerie coincidence. 

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Jon Reiss' TOTBO Tip of the Day 3 - Know Your Goals by Jon Reiss
I cannot stress this enough.  I cannot repeat this enough.  There are multiple goals that you can strive for in the release of your film.  You must prioritize what is most important to you.  I categorize the goals for the distribution and marketing of your film into the following five (with a sub goal number 6): 

Distractions by Anthony Schiavino
As I sit here this morning, with my windows open on this beautiful Spring day, I’m reminded of the week I’ve had. A loud speaker blares in the distance at the school up the hill echoing toward my house in this echoing neighborhood. Apparently it’s some kind of field day because it sounds like a Sweet 16 party.

That says it all really. I wake up every morning, I go through my routine, and when all that is done I sit down and either produce some work or write. But on any given day I’m faced with some kind of blaring something out my window.


Thursday, April 22, 2010

Jon Reiss' TOTBO Tip of the Day 4 - Setting Marketing Strategy by Jon Reiss
Depending on the type of filmmaker that you are, marketing does not need to be/should not be thought of as catering your film to a large audience (or altering the content to appeal to a large audience).   Marketing is about 1) Reaching the audience that already exists for your film and 2) thinking creatively of how to reach audiences that might be interested in your film – but don’t know it till you tell them about it.   I recommend that you consider and conceive of a marketing strategy for your film early in the production process, even at inception. Who is its audience? How are you best going to reach them? Are there particular blogs, organizations, print media that they subscribe to? Who will you bring on to help you outreach to your audience? How does this audience consume media?   Answering these questions will help to fashion your release strategy.

I'm a Filmmaker with Karate Chop Action... Redux by Tyler Weaver
I hate remakes.

Well, OK.  That’s not a hundred percent true.  I love some of them – Huston’s MALTESE FALCON, Carpenter’s THE THING, Scorsese’s CAPE FEAR, Cronenberg’s THE FLY, and Hitchcock’s remake of his own THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (of which Hitch said, “the original was the work of a gifted amateur; the remake the work of a professional”).

All that said, I’m doing a remake of one of my own works here.  No, not a film. I’m not going to remake THE FOURTEEN MINUTE GAP (though I don’t deny wanting to tinker with it again).  I’m going to remake – revisit – an article I wrote for my MULTI-HYPHENATE blog, waaaay back in the day when it was a Tyler-exclusive site (OK, September 2009).
Friday, April 23, 2010

Jon Reiss' TOTBO Tip of the Day 5 -  Budget for Distribution & Marketing by Jon Reiss
In order to successfully execute a marketing plan for your film, a budget must be developed in tandem with your production budget. This is not an optional expense to be decided at the end of post production. A marketing and distribution budget is a tool that balances what needs to be spent against what can be afforded, and helps make choices about which methods will be priorities and which ones cannot be implemented due to cost. A well analyzed, affordable budget will help to focus achievable marketing efforts without wasting time and money.  Doing this will also make it seem that you have a sense of how you are going to make your investors money back (and that you care).

Tyler @ Pulp Tone: FRINGE - The Truth is Out There by Tyler Weaver
The moment we’ve been waiting for nearly a year has come. Peter knows who he is and where he’s from. So why am I having such a hard time reviewing this episode?
While getting stoned in a cool looking car outside an “abandoned” factory, two teenagers become the latest victims of those wily shapeshifters. They’re here to help triangulate a harmonic frequency to bring something over from the other side – the “Man from the Other Side” of the title – and it’s up to Olivia and the Bishops to stop them.
It certainly wasn’t a bad episode.  It was a disappointing one.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Multi-Hyphenate. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan